Last updated: 13 August 2021
North Yorkshire County Council has developed a range of resources about managing the COVID-19 pandemic in our county. These can be found on the North Yorkshire County Council website
In addition, many organisations across the UK have developed helpful and accessible information about COVID-19, using Easy Read, pictorial and other accessible formats. Information in a number of community languages is also available.
This page has been created to bring together some of the most useful and up to date information in one place. It will be updated regularly as part of North Yorkshire County Council’s response to the pandemic, to support providers and funded services to have the best available information and you are recommended to check it on a regular basis.
Services are encouraged to use and share these resources with people you support to ensure that they have the most up to date information in a format that they understand and which meets their needs.
Images courtesy of Photosymbols
People have lots of questions about the Covid-19 vaccine. We have made a special page to share helpful information in accessible formats and community languages. Click here
Roadmap out of lockdown
In March 2021, the UK Government announced a Roadmap out of Lockdown with four stages. Read about what you can and can't do in Easy Read and community languages here.
UK Government information
- Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable (includes Easy Read and community language translations): here and in BSL here
- Guidance on protecting people most likely to get very poorly from coronavirus (COVID-19) (shielding) – Easy Read
- Letter to shielded patients - produced 22 June 2020: Easy Read and a number of community languages
- Guidance on supporting children and young people's mental health and wellbeing
- Coronavirus (Covid-19) safer travel guidance – Easy Read
- Information about testing at home in Easy Read and community languages - here
- Guidance for households with possible or confirmed cases of coronavirus in Easy Read and community languages - here
- Advice for everyone to help stop the spread of coronavirus - Easy Read
- Information for unpaid carers during the coronavirus outbreak - Easy Read and Community languages
- Getting tested for Covid-19 – includes information about the InterpreterNow service that provides support in 200 languages.
- How to do a COVID-19 rapid lateral flow test at home - information to improve help and support for users with access needs.
General Information about Covid-19
- National restrictions in November and December 2020 - information from North Yorkshire County Council - easy read version
- Inclusion North has a comprehensive easy read guide about keeping safe from coronavirus. It is updated regularly. For the latest version please visit: http://www.inclusionnorth.org/coronavirus
- The National Autistic Society has information for autistic people and their families here
- Learning Disability England: Keeping informed and in touch during Coronavirus: here
- MENCAP Easy Read Guide: here
- SignHealth – British Sign Language (BSL) translations of Public Health England information: here
- Carers UK: Coronavirus guidance for carers: here
- Resources for children and young people with SEND, their parents and carers: here
- Friends, Families and Travellers - information for traveller communities including audio version
- Travellers Times - information for traveller communities including video versions
- RNIB Essential supermarket information and updates
- Community First Yorkshire - community and voluntary sector advice and guidance
- Why are people wearing masks? - Easy read
- Learning Disability England - Do not resuscitate - a guide for understanding your rights and challenging decisions - Easy Read
- Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys (TEWV) NHS Foundation Trust has a great list of Easy Read information here
- HealthWatch North Yorkshire: links to Coronavirus advice from different organisations and information in a variety of formats here
- Keep Safe.co.uk - the team behind PhotoSymbols (www.photosymbols.com) has developed a range of easy read and audio information including a series of helpful Easy Read posters on different COVID-19 topics. These are available for free on their Keep Safe website: https://www.keepsafe.org.uk/posters
- They have also produced an Easy Read overview of tiers 1 - 4
- Easy Read guide to Changes to the Care Act: here
NHS and other health information
- Getting NHS help when you need it during the coronavirus outbreak - Easy Read
- Healthwatch - How to make heath appointments on your computer or phone better - Easy Read
- NHS Guide to having your flu vaccination (jab) during the coronavirus pandemic - Easy Read
- Easy read leaflet about swabbing, developed by the NHS Leeds Teaching Trusts.
- Information about the Coronavirus vaccine - Mencap Easy Read
- Help for people with a learning disability and/or autism to use NHS 111: here
Information about going into hospital
- Down Syndrome Research Foundation - supporting someone with a disability to go to hospital: here
- COVID-19 hospital summary - developed with Harrogate and District Foundation Trust's Emergency Department so key information can be handed over on arrival in hospital. Can be pre-filled by providers and then updated with contemporary detail should attendance at emergency departments be required.
- Hospital Passport templates for Harrogate and York/Scarborough Hospitals.
- Coronavirus: Getting better in hospital - Easy Read
- NHS and UK Government ‘Leaving hospital to go home’ – Easy Read leaflet
- Leaving hospital to go to a care home - Easy Read leaflet
- The NHS has developed a Grab and Go Form. This gives the information that doctors and nurses will need if you go to hospital because of COVID-19 and, for example, are struggling to breathe. This does not replace the hospital passport but is good to have as well. Some Plain English information to help you complete the Grab and Go Form is here. You can download the Grab and Go Form here
- UK Government advice in easy read and community languages about getting tested before a hospital procedure - here
Tips on staying safe and healthy at home
- Down Syndrome Association Easy Read information on exercise, cooking tips and activity videos: here
- An Easy Read Guide to Anxiety from the Mental Health Foundation: here
- Information on social distancing and staying connected: here
- Blind Alive: free audio based exercise sessions including boot camp, meditation and chair yoga here
- North Yorkshire Community Learning Partnership ‘5 Ways to Wellbeing’
- North Yorkshire Learning Disability Partnership Board Human Rights Activity Packs
- KeyRing Self Advocacy Service Christmas activity packs
Information about national restrictions during November and December 2020:
Information about social distancing and keeping yourself safe:
- What you need to do (Arabic)
- What should I do to prevent catching and spreading the virus? (English and Arabic)
- Government information - Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable (in a number of community languages)
- Updated information for people shielding (available in a number of languages) – May 2021: click here
- Hospital discharge leaflets - a number of community language translations included
- What to do when someone dies during the COVID-19 pandemic - community language translations
- Social media information about vaccines translated into a number of languages
- GP registration - the following information card about registration and access to GPs (to encourage people to register and be invited for vaccination) is available in a number of Eastern European languages - listed and linked to below the image.
A range of key COVID-19 documents translated into many community languages are available at the Migrant Information Hub website.