Last updated: 19 April 2022
North Yorkshire County Council has developed a range of resources about managing the COVID-19 pandemic in our county. These can be found on the North Yorkshire County Council website
In addition, many organisations across the UK have developed helpful and accessible information about COVID-19, using Easy Read, pictorial and other accessible formats. Information in a number of community languages is also available.
This page has been created to bring together some of the most useful and up to date information in one place. It will be updated regularly as part of North Yorkshire County Council’s response to the pandemic, to support providers and funded services to have the best available information and you are recommended to check it on a regular basis.
Services are encouraged to use and share these resources with people you support to ensure that they have the most up to date information in a format that they understand and which meets their needs.
Images courtesy of Photosymbols
People have lots of questions about the Covid-19 vaccine. We have made a special page to share helpful information in accessible formats and community languages. Click here
UK Government information
- Guidance for people with symptoms of a respiratory infection including Covid-19 -- infographic and community languages - here
- Information about what your Covid Pass Letter tells you -- Easy Read and Community languages
- Guidance on protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable (includes Easy Read and community language translations): here
Guidance on reducing the spread of respiratory infections, including COVID-19, in the workplace -- community languages
- Getting tested for Covid-19
- Information about NHS 119 BSL for Covid-19 testing and vaccination
- How to do a COVID-19 rapid lateral flow test at home - information to improve help and support for users with access needs. Includes information in a range of formats and community languages.
- Information about testing at home in Easy Read and community languages - here
- Information about Be My Eyes App to make it easier for partially sighted people to use lateral flow tests in their home -- click here
General Information about Covid-19
- Inclusion North has a comprehensive easy read guide about keeping safe from coronavirus. It is updated regularly. For the latest version please visit: http://www.inclusionnorth.org/coronavirus
- The National Autistic Society has information for autistic people and their families here
- MENCAP Easy Read Guide: here
- SignHealth – British Sign Language (BSL) translations of Public Health England information: here
- Carers UK: Coronavirus guidance for carers: here
- Community First Yorkshire - community and voluntary sector advice and guidance
- Why are people wearing masks? - Easy read
- Learning Disability England - Do not resuscitate - a guide for understanding your rights and challenging decisions - Easy Read
- Keep Safe.co.uk - the team behind PhotoSymbols (www.photosymbols.com) has developed a range of easy read and audio information including a series of helpful Easy Read posters on different COVID-19 topics. These are available for free on their Keep Safe website: https://www.keepsafe.org.uk/posters
NHS and other health information
- Healthwatch - How to make heath appointments on your computer or phone better - Easy Read
- NHS Guide to having your flu vaccination (jab) during the coronavirus pandemic - Easy Read
- Easy read leaflet about swabbing, developed by the NHS Leeds Teaching Trusts.
- Information about the Coronavirus vaccine - Mencap Easy Read
- Help for people with a learning disability and/or autism to use NHS 111: here
Information about going into hospital
- Down Syndrome Research Foundation - supporting someone with a disability to go to hospital: here
- COVID-19 hospital summary - developed with Harrogate and District Foundation Trust's Emergency Department so key information can be handed over on arrival in hospital. Can be pre-filled by providers and then updated with contemporary detail should attendance at emergency departments be required.
- Hospital Passport templates for Harrogate and York/Scarborough Hospitals.
- Coronavirus: Getting better in hospital - Easy Read
- The NHS has developed a Grab and Go Form. This gives the information that doctors and nurses will need if you go to hospital because of COVID-19 and, for example, are struggling to breathe. This does not replace the hospital passport but is good to have as well. Some Plain English information to help you complete the Grab and Go Form is here. You can download the Grab and Go Form here
- UK Government advice in easy read and community languages about getting tested before a hospital procedure - here
Tips on staying safe and healthy at home
- Down Syndrome Association Easy Read information on exercise, cooking tips and activity videos: here
- An Easy Read Guide to Anxiety from the Mental Health Foundation: here
- North Yorkshire Community Learning Partnership ‘5 Ways to Wellbeing’
- North Yorkshire Learning Disability Partnership Board Human Rights Activity Packs
- North Yorkshire Learning Disability Partnership Board Mental Health and Wellbeing Activity packs
Information about social distancing and keeping yourself safe:
- Guidance on the ventilation of indoor spaces to stop the spread of coronavirus--in a number of community languages -- click here
- Updated information for people previously considered 'clinically extremely vulnerable' – click here
- The Government's COVID-19 migrant health guide has links to guidance and advice on Covid-19 in a range of community languages-- click here
- GP registration - the following information card about registration and access to GPs (to encourage people to register and be invited for vaccination) is available in a number of Eastern European languages - listed and linked to below the image.
A range of key COVID-19 documents translated into many community languages are available at the Migrant Information Hub website.