The North Yorkshire Self-Advocates Forum is another way to make sure that the voice of people with learning disabilities is at the heart of the work of the North Yorkshire Learning Disability Partnership Board.
What we do
The Self-Advocates Forum is a great place to speak up and be heard. We meet three times a year to talk about things that are important to us. We find fun and creative ways to make a difference. Read about some of the things we have done - and things we want to do - here.
Who can come?
Anyone in North Yorkshire with a learning disability or autism. To find out more about being part of the Forum please contact Karen Murray, KeyRing Self-Adovacy Manager on 07833 309693 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The aims of the Self-Advocates Forum are:
- To come together to make our voice as strong as possible;
- To make sure people with learning disabilities can have their say about what happens in the future;
- To make sure people with learning disabilities get the right information about what is going on in North Yorkshire and in other places across the country;
- To make sure people with learning disabilities are part of checking work that is happening in North Yorkshire;
- To make sure people with learning disabilities in North Yorkshire can help each other solve problems and share their experience; and
- To make sure that Valuing People Now and any other big plans such as health or housing are happening and making good things happen for people with learning disabilities.
The forum meets three times a year at venues across North Yorkshire.
Tuesday 28 April 2020 - Scarborough
Tuesday 18 August 2020 - Selby
Tuesday 10 November 2020 - Northallerton
Dates and venues for all Learning Disability Partnership Board meetings in 2020 can be found here.
What is a self advocate?
In June 2017, self-advocates made this short film to tell people about what self-advocacy is, and why it is so important:
For more information
For more information about the forum please call Shanna Carrell on 01609 532992 or email email@example.com